This sponsored post contains affiliate links which means we may receive commission for any purchases.
What is Co-Sleeping?
Co-sleeping is the practice where the child sleeps in bed with his parents. Not surprisingly, it is one of the most hotly debated and controversial topics related to pediatric sleep. Let’s see why.
The Co-Sleeping Debate
Some people argue that co-sleeping is the right and natural way to raise a child because the practice fosters a stronger bond and a more secure attachment.
Conversely, others will tell you that co-sleeping is risky, ridiculous, or even dangerous and they don’t want it for their family.
So, which approach holds the truth?
First, it’s important to understand that co-sleeping is not magic. Although some proponents of the family bed would disagree, numerous couples have reported that their babies did not necessarily sleep deeper or longer because their parents were close by. In fact, some parents found that their child slept longer and woke less frequently when they stopped co-sleeping and moved him into his own crib.
However, whether families choose to co-sleep or have their children sleep independently is a personal decision, and if both parents and child are safe, rested, and fulfilled, then co-sleeping is nothing to worry about.
If you decide do co-sleep, this commitment requires some very careful thinking about what you and your spouse feel is right for you as individuals, as a couple, and as a family.
Ask yourselves the following questions:
• Is it nice to think about enjoying the coziness of sleeping in close proximity, or does one or more of us tend to stay active during sleeping – potentially disrupting the others?
• Does everyone in our family want to co-sleep, or are we leaning toward it because one of us feels strongly?
• Are we willing to commit to being quiet after our child falls asleep, or do we like to watch TV or talk in bed?
• Will we enjoy being able to feed our baby more often throughout the night, or will having him next to us make it tougher to wean nighttime feeds?
• Are we agreeable to getting into bed when our child does, to ensure his safety?
• For working parents, does sleeping next to our child allow us to feel more connected to him?
Co-Sleeping Advantages & Disadvantages
As expected, co-sleeping has both advantages and disadvantages.
Let’s take a closer look at them.
• Constant closeness whenever the child is awake. Many children and parents enjoy this feeling.
• Immediate action and support for any sleep-related problem
• The ability to nurse and respond to other nighttime wakings without getting up
• More time to spend with the child
• Possibly better sleep for both the child and the parents, if the child was sleeping poorly to begin with
• Parents may sleep poorly if their children are restless sleepers
• Parents may end up sleeping in separate rooms, and they may become angry at their child or with each other
• Children’s and adults’ sleep cycles do not coincide
• Parents may have to go to bed at a very early hour with their children and be left with little time for their own evening activities
• Parents have little privacy
• There may be a slight increase in the risk to the infant from SIDS and related causes.
The Decision to Co-Sleep
The decision to co-sleep should be yours, made by the parent – or parents – and based on your own personal philosophies, not on pressure from your child or anyone else. Another family’s good or bad experience with co-sleeping should not influence your decision: your child is unique and your family is not the same.
Check out the Baby Sleep Miracle. It is a fantastic program that has high success rates all over the globe! If you want you and your baby to finally get some good sleep, you can learn more about this awesome program in this Baby Sleep Miracle Video.
Prices are correct at time of posting. Prices can change at anytime. Discount codes are active at time of posting. Discount codes can become inactive at anytime.
UK Deals And Giveaways use Affiliate links, This means we may earn commission from our links.
UK Deals And Giveaways is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, audible.com, and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate [I or we] earn from qualifying purchases.
Everyone loves a great deal and we often search for hours on end to find the best uk deals, we spend time searching for the deal of the day, coupons or free delivery codes or maybe even a great price for something off your wishlist. Well fear not because you have found our amazing Top Uk Deals site called UK Deals and Giveaways, we share UK Hot Deals that will save your time and money!
UK Deals and Giveaways site is a brilliant website full of top uk deals, exclusive discount codes and even great giveaways too, you can win lots of toys, beauty stuff and so much more! Register now for free and you could save £1000’s with our amazing deals.
We have a Facebook following of nearly 100,000 followers and post great hotukdeals uk every day from trusted sites as well as having thousands of registered users on our site. We are a lovely community for people who want to save money and time! We are posting 100’s of Uk Hot Deals everyday see our homepage for the deal of the day.
UK Deals and Giveaways is a site that gives you all the Crazy Clearance deals as soon as they become available. The website is in categories which makes it easy to browse and find what you are looking for, and, as well as posting current deals uk and discounts, we also sometimes find ‘misprices’ and ‘price glitches’ as soon as they find them, giving you the chance to grab a crazy clearance that probably won’t last for long, so be quick!
Make sure to join our facebook group for the latest deals the offer of the day and hotukdeals uk. If you love a ukdeal you’ll love our Facebook group.
So for a ukdeal look no further than UK Deals and Giveaways.